According to an article published in 2015, around one-third of the population of entire world has a form of anemia. It is a health condition which can unfold as a result of other health issues which act as a barrier between the production of red blood cells in the body.
Today we will discuss what is anemia, how many types of anemia are there and what are the symptoms, causes and treatments of anemia?
- What is Anemia?
A person is said to be anemic when the number of Red Blood Cells (RBCs) in their body decreases than what is required. Red blood cells move in the veins with iron and hemoglobin which help carry oxygen along to all the organs of the body. When a person is anemic they might look pale because their body organs are not receiving enough amount of oxygen which they need. Anemia is the most common blood disorder in the world.
- Types of Anemia
There are multiple types of Anemia but the end result of all of these types is the same, which is the rapid decrease in the number of red blood cells in the blood. The causes can be different though, like;
- Sickle cell anemia: when the shape of the red blood cell is faulty
- Aplastic anemia: when a person has damaged bone marrow which is not able to make enough B12
- Folic acid deficiency anemia: when a person is deficient in folic acid
- Hemolytic anemia: when the body makes deformed RBCs which die too quickly
- Vegan anemia: when someone is vegan and does not get enough iron because they do not eat meat.
- Fanconi anemia: when the bone marrow does not make enough RBCs genetically.
- Pernicious anemia: when a person’s blood cannot absorb vitamin B12.
- Symptoms of Anemia
People who have mild anemic have the following symptoms;
- Feeling cold
- Shortness of breathe
- Sore tongue
- Pale skin
- Irregular/fast heartbeat
While, some specific symptoms according to the types of anemia are given below;
- Aplastic anemia causes frequent infections, a fever and skin rashes.
- Folic acid deficiency anemia causes diarrhea and irritability.
- Sickle cell anemia causes painful swelling on hands and feet, fatigue and jaundice.
- Hemolytic anemia causes abdominal pain, dark urine, jaundice and a fever.
- Causes of Anemia
There are several causes of anemia, some of which are;
- Blood loss
- Low or impaired Red Blood Cells
- Diet low in iron
- Frequent blood donations
- Deficiency of vitamin B-12 and folate
- Destruction of RBC’s due to certain drugs like antibiotics, hypertension, infections, kidney or liver diseases and snake or spider venom.
- Treatment of Anemia
When an anemic person is diagnosed by the doctor, it can be treated in many ways like;
- Iron supplements taken by mouth
- Foods rich in iron
- Iron given through IV
- Foods which help you absorb iron (foods rich in vitamin C)
- Transfusion of RBCs
If you are experiencing these symptoms mentioned above, you should get yourself examined by a doctor and in case you are diagnosed with mild or serious anemia, you should take all the precautions to not make it more serious and get a proper treatment. Eat healthy and exercise daily, it also solves a lot of health related concerns. Happy living! 🙂